Thursday, July 9, 2009

Strawberry Rhubarb Cake!

Hello, hello! So I have to apologize for not writing in a while. The last few weeks have just flown by! I found myself back east to visit family for the 4th of July and am settling into my first week back.

Before I left for my vacation, I made a delightful Gluten Free Strawberry Rhubarb cake. June was Strawberry season (hurray!) and I had to take advantage of the delicious gems at my local farmer's market. The cake was delicious. Again, I used Annalise Roberts' recipe for vanilla cake. (As in my post about my lemon cream cheese cake, follow this link to Annalise Roberts' recipe archive and click on the vanilla cupcakes page. I used the amounts in the recipe for this Stawberry Rhubarb pie.)I poured the batter into a pyrex dish and sprinkled chopped strawberries and rhubarb into the dish. Here is a photo of it before placing it in the oven:


Looks pretty great to me. When the cake bakes it expands, because of all of the leaveners and air whipped into the batter when you beat it. But because of the weight of the berries and rhubarb, the cake only rises much around the edges:


This cake did take a while to bake. The center stays cooler because of the berries and takes a while to get fully cooked. But once a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, you have a delightful cake! Don't worry if the edges brown, they still taste wonderful!

Here's the final result:

Ooh! I just LOVE the taste of strawberries and rhubarb! This cake is perfect if you don't feel like going through the mess of baking a whole Strawberry Rhubarb pie. Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment